Thursday 11 September 2014

Travels to Lilliput

Small things are not small things for the small!
-       Mehmet Murat ildan

-        
Awesome does not look the same close-up as it does from far away”.  - anonymous

If you see something that moves you, and then snap it, you keep a moment                                                          - Linda McCartney

Awe and wonder come in many forms. There is awe in light - sunlight, moonlight, the light that crisps itself in molecules of snow. There is wonder in darkness – the soft, velvet wrap-around of a moonless, summer night; the shadows secreted in the bark-skin of a tree deep in the Cimmerian shade of the forest.

My place has awe and wonder that I didn’t even grasp until the wonder-full gift of a particular camera lens. A macro lens that acts as a circular doorway into the vast worlds of small beings and locales. Over the last year, I have been learning to see, learning to simply be ‘aware’. I am learning to open my eyes – to my place, to texture, shapes, curves, lines, patterns, light. My place has become like a Muse, constantly tugging at my mind or my heart to “Look! See! Wonder!” Now with the addition of this small lens, I am discovering secrets, bewitched confidences.

Ukrainian nature macro photographer, Vyacheslav Mishchenko, takes us into the diminutive, but movingly emotional, universe of snails. It is magical – the world seen through the eyes of a snail (or any other small creature) is full of pathos, poignancy, and joy, just as our own world is. His photography features snails enraptured by a drop of water; or stretching with ardent longing towards each other. Now I, too, can discover these other universes, these other ways of being. 

Mishchenko advises, “I would ask a photographer to be patient, to develop artistic taste, to be romantic and finally to love nature”. How could I not be romantic or love nature, when disappearing down the small again, large again rabbit hole, like Alice in her wonder-land - in one instant too big, but in the next finding her way into another cosmos through a small door with an even smaller key. 

I am fascinated by the minute, desiccated veins of drying leaves; by the grey worn wood of fences, and doors, and old barns that looks like old wool. By the glittering lines of a spider web that scores an evening sky; or the detail of shape and space in a crow’s shed feather.  I had not noticed these infinitesimal textures or spaces before. 


Thank you, my sweet, for with this gift of a small lens, you’ve made my world bigger.








No comments:

Post a Comment