Wednesday 8 October 2014

Cobwebs and Gossamer


Spiders evidently as surprised by the weather as the rest of us: their webs were still everywhere - little silken laundry lines with perfect snowflakes hung out in rows to dry.”
                                                                             - Leslie Land, The 3000-Mile Garden

There are spiders living comfortably in my house while the wind howls outside. They aren't bothering anybody. If I were a fly, I'd have second thoughts, but I'm not, so I don't.”
                                                       - Richard Brautigan, The Tokyo-Montana Express
           

My place is a place of hundreds of spiders in the fall. The fall is mating season and, in an effort to expand their territory, webs and their resident spider inhabitants abound in spaces common and uncommon – trees, bushes, corners, walls, crannies, chinks, and crevasses. Their webs are organic feats of astonishment. It is a rare morning that I can move from the front door to the driveway without becoming draped in spider webs – the fibres sticky in my hair, my face enswathed in fine, tickling filaments. I stand in either reverence or consternation.

The spiders hang in pugilistic splendor in the middle of the webs, staring me down with a nervy confidence, sometimes running at me up a long line of silk like a dog at a stranger in the yard.  She exhibits a bantam fearlessness, a dauntless valor.

I never mean to harm them, though I am not above a bit of teasing. I will sometimes give the web a slight tab, sending the fractious arachnid off in an indignant stomp to the middle of the web, where it sits and glowers, its legs curled up under it.  It is not afraid of me. More offended and outraged.

My favourites are the cat-faced spiders.  Their bodies look like the faces of cats, complete with pointed ears, eyes, and whiskers. They are quite large, and totally harmless. Another is the Daddy-Long-Legs spider. I love how his bulbous body hangs from his legs like a hammock. His incongruous body is like the bizarreness of a tortoise – ludicrous but graceful, peculiar but poignant.

The spiders will not be in my place long – once the eggs are laid, they will die. Their webs will gather dust and debris over the course of the winter and, in the spring, the egg sacs will explode. Tiny, Lilliputian spiders will mob down the indestructible silk tracings created by their mothers and they will troop out to the garden to begin their own predator lives in their macro spider world.


But, for now, they are very much in my world and in my place.  We share a diffident respect.




No comments:

Post a Comment